Friday, July 10, 2015

Namaste



Sometimes I need to step back and take a good look at myself. Not in the mirror, but more internal. I need to be more mindful of what I say and what I do and how I present myself to others. I do this when stress causes physical symptoms. Once I identify the problem I can work to change it. If I cannot eliminate the problem, I can work on changing my reaction to it.

How do I change my reactions? Through mindfulness, self-awareness and meditation. This is not always easy, as there will always be that one person who can push your buttons. When I am in a situation that is stressful I tell myself the let it go. Sorry if I just created an ear worm for you as I did to myself when I wrote those words. Or I recite the Serenity Prayer in my mind. If you don't pray, just repeat it as a mantra. Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. Oftentimes I just repeat the first part over and over.

Meditation helps me to find the inner peace within me. I am not very good at sitting still for long periods of time without thoughts popping in my head, so I prefer short meditation sessions. Try different types of meditation to find what suits you the best.

Now when confronted with a stressor, mindfulness is helpful. Mindfulness is the intentional, accepting and non-judgemental focus of one's attention on the emotions, thoughts and sensations occurring in the present moment. If you can identify what is happening at a particular moment, while in that moment, you can change your reaction. Basically, you are just becoming self-aware.

I found that when I changed my reactions to certain situations, things seemed to be better for me and those around me. It is not always easy, but it is possible. This past couple of weeks, I have been looking inward to identify what I can do to alleviate my stress and my former practice taught to me by some wonderfully positive role models

No comments: