Thursday, July 2, 2015

Fear, Hurdles and Finding Me


I seem to be getting back into my writing groove. The advice I gave yesterday about BIC HOK worked. I managed to get some writing/rewriting done. These blogs are getting easier and more focused on writing, though I cannot promise that it will always be for I often write whatever's on my mind.

One of the biggest hurdles I faced in my writing is apathy. I called it grief, lack of voices, no time, laziness and the list can go on... The main problem is that I didn't plant my butt in the chair in front of my keyboard, nor did I keep a tablet and pen nearby to jot down ideas as they occurred.

Why didn't I? A friend and fellow author, Deborah Dorchak, nailed it... She said fear keeps one from writing. I am not sure why I was afraid to write, especially since writing is as natural for me as breathing. It is my job to recognize the fear and to conquer it whether or not I know its roots.

I will attack the fear in much the same way I would a panic attack. Recognize it, take deep breaths,  and carry on. This sounds easier than it is in actuality, but the premise is the same. I have been known to pull over on the side of the road until I could get the panic attack to pass.

So, as I leave you today, know that I am ready to work some more on my draft of John Dunham's Diary. I may even try to write a short piece of flash fiction. Above is my haiku for the day on a painting I did in a paint class recently.

Good writing! ~Rita

No comments: