Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Life, Love and Everything


Lately I have been thinking about life. I used to think one day I'll travel, someday I'll be happy and the list goes on. After losing my husband, I know that there are no guarantees. So when a chance at new love surfaced, I went for it. (It helped that I had a crush on this man when we were teens and that I had a dream of us kissing six months after Ken died.)

I have not regretted one day spent with Ralph and unlike in my past relationships I have no doubts that I belong by his side. We are living a wonderful life and though we don't have much money, we are traveling. We save and book trips in advance so we can pay them off over several months rather than all at once.

Sometimes you have to take charge of your life to really live it. And taking chances are part of it. If you are not happy with your life do something about it. If you hate your job, find another. If you want to travel, go for it. If you are unhappy, chose to be happy.

I know sometimes being happy is hard to choose. I know, because I have depression. Mine is milder than some and worse than others and right now at this moment not an issue. I deal with depression by forcing myself to do things. I make plans with others, because I would rather die than disappoint my friends or family.

On those days I don't want to get out of bed, I ask myself what would my friend Traci do and I hear her voice say, "Get your ass out of bed." Only a migraine or extreme vertigo or some bad illness will keep me in bed, even then I try to fight through it.

Life is wonderful for me. Two and a half years ago things didn't look so bright. Still I kept busy. I had great friends and family who were there for me after Ken died. Exercise and meditation helped me feel better about myself. And a year ago I took the biggest chance ever, I moved across the country to live with Ralph.

We are building a life together. And we will have many adventures together, whether we are camping nearby, going on a cruise or just hanging out. We are living the dream, but we are not lost in the dream. We are doing, so that we will have no regrets.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Always!

No comments: