Monday, June 29, 2015

Changes



Change emotes different feelings in different people. For some change is an adventure, for others it's sad or scary, while for some of us it's both. You can either go into a new situation kicking and screaming or you can jump in feet first. I tend to be the type of person who jumps in feet first.

But I don't want to talk about outside change today, I want to address personal change. What does this mean? It means the older I get the more I realize the only person I have any control over is myself. What kind of changes can I make?

 The biggest change and the one that seems to carry over in the bigger picture is changing my reactions. This is one of the toughest to do. Sometimes I just need to repeat the Serenity Prayer in my mind. Other times a peaceful visualization is helpful. Sometimes both are helpful. Meditation has assisted me in being able to maintain my equilibrium.

Unfortunately, I have gotten away from  daily meditation. This is something I need to work on. I feel I was a better person with less negativity when I was actively practicing meditation. I am better with very short meditations, since my mind will invariably take over.

So, today, I am going to make some changes to my routine. I am going to begin meditating and exercising. I need to be able to get to my inner peace quickly in any situation and to quit obsessing over things I cannot change. Lately, I seem to be unable to let go of obsessing about the selfishness of others. Since I cannot change others, I need to work on my reaction. I can achieve this through finding my inner peace.

Changing my focus is something that needs constant cultivating. When I get out of the habit, it's easy to revert to my old habits. So, today I will work on me.

No comments: