Thursday, April 15, 2010

Off Topic- Endometriosis

I would like to speak about a topic that will be uncomfortable for some and informational for others about Endometriosis.

In my early 2o's, I had this side pain which persisted throughout my college years and into my young adult life. The doctors at the school kept giving me urine tests and nothing else. It wasn't until I started seeing my current doctor in my late 20's that I was diagnosed with and treated for endometriosis. I had a laparoscopy and the growth was removed with a laser. The pain went away. Whoopee.

What is Endometriosis? Endometrial growths (implants) develop on the ovaries or fallopian tubes, the outer surface of the uterus, the bowels, or other abdominal organs. In rare cases, it can affect other organs and structures in the body.

There is some debate over whether or not it is an autoimmune disease. What I know for sure is that it can be a long-lasting (chronic) disease. It has varying degrees of severity... Some women have no symptoms or problems. Others develop mild to severe symptoms or infertility. There is no way to predict whether endometriosis will get worse, will improve, or will stay the same until menopause. ~From WebMD

I am now 46 years old and Endometriosis has reared it's ugly head once again. For me I noticed the pain in my lower left side. My menstruation cycles would last for a month or not come at all. Though the latter did not bother me, the long lasting cycle did. That brought me to my doctor, who once again referred me to an ob/gyn.

At least now I know why I was unable to have children. Well, other than the furry adopted ones. I had a biopsy to determine whether the growth was cancer. Fortunately, it was not. The doctor is starting me on birth control pills to try to regulate my menstrual cycles and to help shed some of the lining of the uterus. She wants to get me through to menopause after which it shouldn't cause me any more problems.

Now it's a waiting game for me. Right now the pain is minuscule and in the grand scheme of things that is good. Though I wouldn't wish this on anyone, I am writing it down because maybe- just maybe- it might help someone. ~Rita

No comments: