Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Into Hell



Into Hell
by Rita L. Smith


I slipped through the hole in the wall only to find myself blinded.  Okay, I really wasn’t blind, but there was no light in the room at all.  I turned back to the room I’d just left and nothing.  I felt the wall, but there was no hole.  Strange, I must have moved further than I thought.  I moved along the wall with my hands touching it where I felt the hole should be.

I hit the corner having found nothing, so I began to move in the direction from which I had just come.  Again I found the corner and still no hole.  “What in hell?” I thought.

“Exactly, my pet,” a voice said.  He sounded like every evil villain sounded in the cartoons.  He even laughed that maniacal wahaha that made my skin crawl and the hair on my head stand up.

“Wh- wh- who are you?”

“I am the prince of this domain,” he said.

“What domain?”

“I thought you had figured it out, but I guess humans are really too stupid to put two and two together in this age of technology.  You need a calculator to add, a computer to write and even a GPS to tell you where to go.”

“Yes, but where am I?  I don’t have my MapQuest handy.”

The man let out another maniacal laugh.  “You do have the ability to make me laugh though, so I will excuse your laziness.”

I thought back to what I had been thinking when the voice interrupted my thoughts.  “Hell!” I shouted.

“Correct.”

“I am in hell, but I don’t belong here.”

“That’s what they all say,” the voice said.

“But I haven’t died.”

“You must be dead or you wouldn’t be here.  No one can find their way into Hell without having 
died.”

I thought for a moment about what I had been doing right before I found the hole in the wall.  I was certain that I hadn’t fallen, not anything that would have caused my early demise.  “No, I am certain I did not die.  I just found a hole in the wall.”

“Beelzebub,” Satan screamed.

“Yes, O’ Mighty Prince?” a voice answered.  It was just as frightening as Satan’s, though it sounded a bit whinier.

“Did you let the riff-raff in again?”

“Only one sire.”  The room seemed to shake as he said this. 

“Oh, quit your quivering.  This mortal amuses me, but we have got to return him, until his time,” Satan said.

“Yes, O’ Mighty Prince,” Beelzebub said.

As, he finished a light appeared in the wall.  The opening…  I ran for it and was out into the real world in a flash.  As I left, I vowed that I would change my ways.  I would serve God and spread the word.  There was no way; I would ever go back there again.

“Will you accept me as your faithful servant, God?” I asked.
The sun got brighter for just a second.  If I had blinked I might have missed it.  I guess God was okay with me spreading the word.  I felt as if a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.  


Please remember that this story is copyrighted by me, so don't reprint it.  I will be putting a book together with my flash fiction in it.  Also, I have Flashes From My Mind and More Flashes From My Mind available on Amazon.  More Flashes From My Mind is available on Kindle for $2.99.

No comments: