Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Write Stuff

While sitting here contemplating about what I want to say, one thing keeps popping into my mind. Support!

Every writer desires someone who is supportive of their writing. My husband, for instance, has always been supportive of me in this respect. And for that I am grateful! And everyone should have someone in their lives who encourages them no matter what. Unfortunately, my husband rarely gives me constructive feedback. A period here or a comma there is about all I get from him, unless he doesn't understand something. Then he asks questions, which is more helpful that loving everything that I write. Oh, and he does read my work when I ask!



But what other kinds of support does a writer need.





  1. Agent/Editor - these people will help make your writing better and get your work out there.


  2. Writing Groups - these should be supportive. Be sure to join one or begin one that fits your needs. For example, if you a hobbyist and just want a safe place to share your work look for others of a like mind. If you are a poet and don't really write stories, then perhaps a poetry group would be better for you. If you write a little of everything, then a group that has an ecclectic membership might be right for you.

  3. Online writing groups and communities allow a writer to put their work out their without putting themselves out there in person.

  4. Open Mics - (any venue that allows you to share your work.) Keep in mind that when opening yourself up to the public, your feedback may not always be good. For me this is a learning experience and sometimes you might have to learn how to read in public for your work to be accepted. I have had to learn the hard way to slow down and ennuciate my words.


Definitely ask yourself what you want to do with your writing. I want to improve my work, while I will never be great, I want to be the best I can be so I am always learning... So, I want a group that shares my goal of improving. Remember, I attend several groups and each one offers a different type of support. It is up to the group leader(s) to make it a comfortable experience for all who attend and sometimes this means putting aside personal friendships and speaking up. You always can switch groups if one is not meeting your needs.



I have continued write-ins after Nanowrimo ended to give writers a place to gather to write, get feed-back, toss around ideas and to share. These are informal meetings over lunch. The goal here is to get us writing... This is a good fit, even when we digress and just talk.



What other kinds of support can a writer get? Or does a writer look for?

No comments: