Friday, April 22, 2011

Reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

While perusing for information on Sara Gruen, I came across the tidbit that she wrote Water for Elephants during Nanowrimo. (National Novel Writing Month). This is certainly good news for many nanowrimoers... Not everything you write in a month is junk.

Of course, the article did not say how many re-writes she did on the novel before perceiving that it was ready for submissions.

I am in my 3rd re-write of John Dunham's Diary or Slayer... The title is something that I need to decide on before I submit it anywhere. I am leaning toward Slayer. Indeed, I will pitch the novel at the Cleveland Rocks Romance Conference to Tor in May. I have been working on my pitch with the help of Tiffany Colter's tapes on that very subject. In case, you don't know Tiffany Colter, she is The Writing Career Coach and a frequent speaker at the Y-City Writers Conferences. Tiffany has volunteered to come back for our October 8, 2011 conference as a speaker.

This was Sara Gruen's third novel, her previous two had been published by Avon. They turned down Water for Elephants. Again, a tasty tidbit, some novels are not for every publisher. So, keep submitting, until you find your fit. In the meantime, if you receive feedback from the publishers, use it to your benefit to improve your work.

I am liking what I have read so far and cannot wait to read more of this lovely tale!

Sorry for getting off track in this post, but this is truly how my mind works, which is how I get so many ideas... Of course, lately the only thing on my mind is Slayer... Which is good, since I believe it has great potential!

Love, Peace and Light! Rita

1 comment:

UK said...

The vividness of the writing made me feel like this story was so real - so alive. It's a quick read, because it is so compelling, you immediately want to know what will happen next. What I really loved was the "how cool is that!?!" ending this book offers! Read it....