- Start off with something positive...
- Okay, first I want honesty, but I don't want to be so put off by the critique that I quit writing. If you don't like my story then I want to know why.
- I want to know what worked and what didn't. For instance, I need to know if you liked my characters, the storyline, the resolution.
- What can I do to make it better? Can I create better chapters, do I need scenery, more dialogue, character descriptions, whatever?
- Do you think I need more build up to the climax or do I have too much build up.
- Punctuation, grammar, word usage, etc. are secondary but I need to know if something really stands out to you as being wrong.
- Tell me up front if you don't like my genre.
These are a few of the things that I want from a critique. I have found the following links that may help you to decide what you want from a critique.
Feel free to leave your comments or suggestions about what you want from a critique. This is a work in progress for me. I really want to make the next critique group I am part of work.