Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Critiquing

I have been pondering what I want from a critique.

  1. Start off with something positive...
  2. Okay, first I want honesty, but I don't want to be so put off by the critique that I quit writing. If you don't like my story then I want to know why.
  3. I want to know what worked and what didn't. For instance, I need to know if you liked my characters, the storyline, the resolution.
  4. What can I do to make it better? Can I create better chapters, do I need scenery, more dialogue, character descriptions, whatever?
  5. Do you think I need more build up to the climax or do I have too much build up.
  6. Punctuation, grammar, word usage, etc. are secondary but I need to know if something really stands out to you as being wrong.
  7. Tell me up front if you don't like my genre.

These are a few of the things that I want from a critique. I have found the following links that may help you to decide what you want from a critique.

  1. http://critique.org/c/diplomacy.ht
  2. http://critique.org/c/whathow.ht
  3. Alternate Historians

Feel free to leave your comments or suggestions about what you want from a critique. This is a work in progress for me. I really want to make the next critique group I am part of work.

1 comment:

My crazy life said...

I also have 2 articles that a friend from The Cambridge Writers Workshop sent me. Let me know if you would like them.