Friday, October 10, 2008

Procrastination

Okay, I have been think lately that my biggest obstacle in completing my novel is myself.
  1. Easily Distracted.
  2. Too many ideas.
  3. I am a procrastinator!

How do I overcome these obstacles?

  1. Limit my distractions, by writing when everyone is asleep. I mean my husband and pets. When I get up, I see to the animals needs before I sit down to write.
  2. Write down ideas and put them aside. I, also, write flash fiction for those pesky stories that won't go away.
  3. Time management. I find when I schedule out my time, I accomplish more.

I found this website in which the author outlines her day.


Journal Entry Items:

  1. The date and the time.
  2. How long I plan to work.
  3. What I plan to work on for this day.
  4. Time when I stop writing and total amount of time writing.
  5. What did I actually end up doing? How well did it go?
  6. What I plan to work on tomorrow.
  7. When I plan to work tomorrow and for how long.

Itemizing your day and summarizing what you did with your time might be a helpful tool in combating procrastination.

Another helpful tool is to set deadlines for yourself. Treat writing as your job/business and stick to a schedule and meet deadlines like you would if you were working for someone else.

Don't forget to commit to NaNo. This will be great training for ending procrastination, since in order to write the 50,000 word story in a month, you will need to write approximately 2,000 words a day.

No comments: