Saturday, May 3, 2008

Poetry Readings

Tonight was the first Poetry Readings at Java House. I would have to say it was a rousing success, though the meeting broke up before 10:00. Still, it was a good turn out. Six of us from the Y-City Writers and I think we had about twenty others on and off.

It's a good thing that we had a bigger turnout, since us Y-City Writers seemed to be bashful. Our guests were not and a couple even volunteered to go first. Every one's poems were lovely, thoughtful, disturbing or funny. I was a little embarrassed by the brevity of mine, but I persevered and even read my Sestina - In the Heart of Ohio, which is definitely my longest piece to date and the hardest thing I have ever written.

I loved the energy brought to the meeting by the young adults. It was awesome and they were not shy. I wish I could remember being so free. The truth is I probably never never was.

I think we are going to make this a monthly event. I think it will be fun.

No comments: