Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Free Writing

Free writing is a new technique for me.

Though I have not attended many classes or workshops on writing, save the one class with Daniel Keyes twenty years ago. Now that was an interesting course I took. We'll leave that story for another time.

Free writing, as I understand it, is a period of time where you write down everything that comes to mind. These free writing sessions can be as short as five minutes. One site I saw on the subject said to collect your free writing sessions and highlight any interesting words or phrases for each session and then write a poem or story from them.

I thought that I could use the same technique on my stories this morning, that requires thinking to bring continuity to the stories. I think, free writing doesn't require concentration, more a free flow of ideas. I have seen groups use these techniques as well.

No comments: