Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Writing through Depression



It's a terrible feeling to be weighed down by depression. The gray skies never go away, even on bright, sunny days.  So, how does one break through? I write among other things.  I find that keeping busy by creating other worlds helps me to push through the cloud of depression.

Don't get me wrong, depression is not that easily overcome.  Medication, support group, therapy, exercise and meditation are helpful, too!  I try not to give into the malaise that wants me to give up, so I keep busy.

Writing or creating the lives of my characters helps my mind in a way that is difficult to explain. Though many of my characters lives are far from perfect, I believe this helps me to understand that I am not the only one who feels this bad.

So, I write... Whether the stories are good or bad... I write!  I write to fulfill a need deep within myself to feel connected to someone...something...  While the writing itself may not help lessen the severity of depression, I believe that any and all activity we do helps to bring me out from behind the clouds that surround me.

This month and every November, I push myself out of my comfort zone to write 50,000 words in 30 days... Everyday I push myself to get out of bed.  It isn't always easy and there are days that my body says enough...  But by making commitments I strive to overcome!  And I will complete my goal od 50,000 words, I have approximately 33300 words as of yesterday!

Remember, no matter what your goal... You can succeed...  And to use an old cliche... If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again!  (I didn't reach my goal the first year I tried, but I did the second and third years.  And the sun finally revealed itself to me!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. Working towards your goals keeps your mind alert and active while succumbing to depression just eventually destroys your life. I enjoy reading your facebook comments and information and I know that everytime I see your comments, that you are striving to succeed. Keep going. VLC