Thursday, June 23, 2011

IS YOUR WRITING DRY DOCKED FOR THE SUMMER?





When everything else is returning to the water is your writing being dry docked? How do you combat the call to the sun and water to find time to write? A friend of mine asked me to address this very issue.


I have been writing a little and I guess a little is good, but I would love to regain the momentum I had back in November during NANOWRIMO. Laura Bickle spoke to my writers group on Tuesday. She said that Nano is a great thing for a writer, it really has helped her. Her books Rogue Oracle and Dark Oracle were nanowrimos. She says she tries to write 1000 words a day.


But how to overcome those summertime blues?


1. Pick one time of the day to write. (But remember you can be flexible.)


2. If you are out and have a few spare moments, drag out your notebook or laptop and write.


3. Try writing something different. If you are a novelist, try poetry. Personally, I have been blogging this summer. Trying to put out some helpful posts for writers.


4. Don't sweat it if you can only squeeze out a sentence or two. Stress will only close up the mind. It's better to write a little then not at all. Writing one or two stress free sentences may get the creative juices flowing.


5. Don't be afraid to say "NO!" People think that because you work at home, you are available whenever they need something. Treat your writing like a job.


6. Some people find it helpful to go someplace else to write. While others need continuity of the same place. Find what works best for you.


7. Stay off the internet. This is my main distraction. Some people have to disconnect their internet to steer clear of temptation. Tiffany Colter says to assign times to check your emails, to blog, etc, so you aren't interfering with your writing time.


I am sure you can think of more things to do to keep writing, just as you can think of a million excuses as to why you haven't. It's up to you to decide what is best for you. If you have something that works for you, feel free to comment. Make comments anyway, negative or good, they help me grow as a writer.

4 comments:

Bhavna said...

i feel so relaxed after seeing your current post...sometimes I dont have anything to write...and I feel why the hell I dont have anything to write its been weeks since I had updated my blog...but from here I have learnt to take things easy and words will flow in your mind hehe...thanks for sharing..if you are wondering where I got your blog link from ... its from Get your blog followers , thanks for sharing

marieclv said...

Thanks for the English session. This and many of our spelling words are used wrong, like then and than. Then is used for time instances and of course than is user to show a difference. My mouth is bigger than your big mouth. I find myself sometimes making this mistake especially when writing fast. Stop by and read one of my latest;
http://evictedanddesperate.blogspot.com

My crazy life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
My crazy life said...

Thank you both for commenting. I hope that I can continue to be helpful. This post was prompted by a friend.