Guidelines for submission of poetry to Akron Art Museum’s NEW WORDS 2009Poetry Competition
· Only adult poets (at least 18 years old) currently residing in Ohio are eligible to enter.
· Submit a maximum of THREE poems not to exceed FIVE pages total. Please include THREE COPIES of each poem (the copies of the poems do not count towards the five page limit).
· Since the poems will be judged anonymously, the poems and copies of the poems MUST NOT have the poet’s name on them. Instead, please include ONE cover sheet with your name, address, phone number, email address and the titles of all submitted poems.
· Poems that have been previously or simultaneously entered to other contests ARE eligible for submission. Poems that have been previously published are NOT eligible. The Akron Art Museum reserves the right to publish winning entries.
· Contestants should keep a copy of all entries since poems WILL NOT be returned.
· Submissions will be accepted beginning January 2, 2009 and must be postmarked by February 27, 2009. Poems submitted by email will not be accepted.
· Submit entries to: Poetry Competition
Akron Art Museum
One South High
Akron , OH 44308
Competition winners receive cash prizes of $125, $100 and $75. The top eight finalists will have the opportunity to read their poems (or have them read) at an awards ceremony during the New Words 2009 Poetry Reading on Sunday, April 19, 2009 from 2-4 p.m. at the Akron Art Museum. This event is free and open to the public. For more information on the New Words 2009 Poetry Contest and Reading , visit www.AkronArtMuseum.org or call 330-376-9186 x241.
The final judge for the competition is Northeast Ohio poet Lynn Powell, author of The Zones of Paradise and Old & New Testaments.New Words 2009 Poetry Contest and Reading is presented with generous support from Frances Buchholzer and Dr. John and Libby Jacobs.