Monday, September 8, 2008

Writing

The most common excuse I hear to not write is "I am too busy."

How does one find the time to write?
  1. I write first thing in the morning, while I am letting the dogs in and out. This is a quiet time in my house, before my husband wakes up for the day.
  2. Some people write late at night after the rest of the family goes to bed.
  3. There was an author at the NEORWA Cleveland Rocks Romance Writers Conference who took her Neo with her to the gym and wrote while she was on the treadmill. (These handy word processors are compact, durable and can be networked with your computer.)
  4. If your still too busy, make up a schedule and make sure you add schedule in your writing time, even if it's only for an hour.

How to spot obstacles?

  1. My obstacles are the pets and my husband. I handle this by choosing to write during my dogs outside time and while my husband is still asleep. My husband knows when I am in front of the computer to not interrupt, especially in the morning.
  2. My computer is in the kitchen, so I am right in the thick of the action. This can be a problem at times.
  3. Distractions of any kind in your work area can hinder your productivity. i.e. windows, television, games on the computer, etc.
  4. Myself...I am my biggest obstacle.

Now once you know what is stopping you from writing, you can control this by changing things.

How to change things?

  1. I try to go to a local coffee shop a couple of times a week. I have been able to write and observe people to help make better characters.
  2. Move your computer to a less trafficked area. Some people use a closet, this also serves to limit your view.
  3. Let your family know that when you are at your computer you are not to be disturbed.
  4. Make yourself a schedule.
  5. Finally, make yourself write daily, even if you just write a journal entry. Get yourself into the habit of writing and you will be surprised by how easy it is.

No comments: