Monday, June 16, 2008

I have an autoimmune disease called Lichen Sclerosis. This is a disorder involving white thinning or red thickening mainly in the vulvar area. I thought I had it in remission, but it is back.

This time though it is giving me grief in the anul region. I asked about this on the Lichen Sclerosis yahoo group. It would seem that this is part of the figure 8 of LS. Around the vulva, across the perineum and around the anus.

One of the treatments suggested is emu oil. I am not entirely sure that I am at ease with using an animal by product, but if it fixes the problem then maybe I will try it. I am looking into alternatives for this.

I am airing this in public to help educate people to this horrid autoimmune disease. When I first noticed it and believe me notice is a mild word, when faced with the burning, itching and pain. I had trouble urinating because it was so bad, not to mention sitting or moving.

I may have been able to avoid some of the pain if I had recognized the changes in my body. I recommend that girls be taught to know what they feel and look like in the vulvar region. I was pretty naive, even in my thirties. Now I recognize changes by feel, when the skin starts thickening or thinning and by sight, (this is harder) when the skin begins to whiten or redden. I use a mirror for the latter.

There are some great sights explaining LS as well as other vulvar conditions. Web MD is one. The best thing you can do though is to check with you OB/GYN who will do a bipsy.

Best wishes to all of you out there. -Rita

No comments: