Friday, April 4, 2008

Flash Fiction

As you already know, Flash Fiction is a new term for me.

I can write a short story. I can even write a short story under 1000 words. But I can't seem to figure out how to write a story that is only 200 words long.

I think I have an idea and before I am even to the bottom of the page, I have already typed 200 words. So, where does that leave me?

I know the literature says to write the story and then go back and take out everything that is unnecessary. The problem is what is necessary? I think it is the whole story as I am telling it, so I start over trying once again to write a story with a beginning, a middle and an end. A story that conveys the emotion and impact without the extras.

I have not succeeded in writing a 200 word piece of Flash Fiction. Let me know any tricks you have used.-Rita

No comments: